RECIPE: Chicken kebabs with pesto roasted veggies
An easy, Banting-friendly weeknight dinner that involves almost no washing up - score!
20g (4 tsp) butter
20ml (4 tsp) coconut oil
4 courgettes, cut into 4
8 button mushrooms
½ red pepper, cut into thick strips
3 handfuls of rocket or spinach, to serve
60ml (4 tbsp) pesto
6 deboned chicken thighs, cut in half
15ml (1 tbsp) dried Italian herbs
5ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
5ml (1 tsp) dried garlic flakes
Salt and pepper
2 wooden skewers, soaked in water
15ml (1 tbsp) butter
Rocket or spinach leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Place the vegetables on an oven tray. Gently melt the butter and the coconut oil together and drizzle over the veggies, seasoning them well. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes until they are soft and golden. Remove from the oven and toss the pesto through while the vegetables are hot.
3. While the vegetables are roasting, make the chicken kebabs. In a bowl, toss the chicken pieces in the herbs and garlic and season well. Thread the chicken onto skewers.
4. Melt the butter in a frying pan and brown the chicken kebabs until they are golden all over. Place them on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
5. Place the roasted vegetables on the rocket or spinach on a plate. Top with the chicken kebabs and drizzle with a little olive oil.
• Recipe courtesy of Jonno Proudfoot, co-author of 'The Real Meal Revolution'.