RECIPE | Whoopie pies
Hailing from the states, these sweet treats are like mini cake sandwiches
Makes: about 24
125ml (½ cup) butter, softened
185ml (⅔ cup) caster sugar
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
2 extra-large eggs
180g (1½ cups) cake flour
85ml (⅓ cup) cocoa powder
5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
2.5ml (½ tsp) baking powder
125ml (½ cup) buttermilk
250g butter, softened
260g (2 cups) icing sugar, sifted
10ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease or spray 4 baking trays and line with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, caster sugar and vanilla till light and fluffy, using an electric beater.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarb and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the creamed butter mixture and mix till just combined.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto the prepared trays about 5cm apart with room for spreading. Bake one tray at a time for 8-10 minutes.
- Beat the icing ingredients together until pale and fluffy and use to sandwich the pies together.