RECIPE | Bacon & mushroom frittata
Similar to a crustless quiche, this Italian omelette can be served for breakfast, brunch or as a light meal along with a fresh salad
10ml (2 tsp) oil
15ml (1 tbsp) butter
250g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
5 spring onions, sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
125g streaky bacon, grilled and diced
2 medium potatoes, cooked and sliced
100g gruyere cheese, grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and red pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the bacon, potatoes and cheese. Gently combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a well-greased pan or ovenproof round casserole.
- Whisk the eggs together and season well and pour the egg mixture over the mushroom mixture and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the centre is just cooked.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before unmoulding or slicing from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with extra crispy bacon, fried mushrooms and rocket leaves.