RECIPE | Vegan couscous & green salad with roasted veggies
This big, beautiful salad counters every stigma about salads not being satisfying. It's a cut above your average mixed greens at a braai
1 medium butternut, peeled and cubed
1 bunch of beets, peeled and cubed (or 1 packet of sweet-and-sour beetroot)
30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
Salt and pepper
250ml (1 cup) whole-wheat couscous
250ml (1 cup) boiled water
5ml (1 tsp) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Seasoning
500ml (2 cups) mixed greens (lettuce, baby spinach, rocket),
½ cucumber, halved and sliced
10 cherry tomatoes
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
60ml (¼ cup) blueberries
15ml (1 tbsp) dried cranberries
Crispy roasted chickpeas
60ml (¼ cup) walnuts, broken into pieces
125ml (½ cup) vegetable crisps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the butternut and beetroot in an oven-proof dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes until soft yet crispy.
- Place the couscous in a bowl (with a lid), add the boiled water and close the lid. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then fluff it with a fork. Sprinkle with the vegetable seasoning and mix through.
- On a flat dish, spread out the couscous as a base. Top with the roasted butternut and beetroot - cover the couscous completely.
- Build a green salad on top of the butternut and beetroot using the greens, cucumber, tomatoes and avocado.
- Sprinkle blueberries, cranberries, roasted chickpeas and walnuts over your creation.
- Finally, place a handful of vegetable crisps on top.
- Serve with your favourite vinaigrette.
• Recipe and image from 'The South African Vegan Cookbook' (Human & Rousseau) by Leozette Roode.