RECIPE | Benny Masekwameng's crumbed beetroot mieliepap balls
A different take on everyday pap, the beetroot adds colour, flavour and intrigue to this braai side, says celebrity chef Benny Masekwameng
500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
100ml beetroot juice
500ml (2 cups) maize meal
15ml (1 tbsp) butter
15ml (1 tbsp) chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
2 eggs, beaten
Sunflower oil for deep-frying
- Bring the stock and beetroot juice to the boil in a pot.
- Add half the maize meal to the stock and, using a whisk, mix until smooth and no lumps are visible. Stir in the rest of the maize meal, slowly whisking until the mixture is smooth and starting to stiffen.
- Add the butter and parsley and stir through.
- Lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure that the mixture does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove the pot from the heat and transfer the contents into a bowl. Allow to cool.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out some of the mix and form it into bite-size balls.
- Dust the balls with flour, dip into the egg and coat lightly with coconut.
- Preheat the oil to 160°C until golden brown all round, about 4 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels before serving.