RECIPE | Vegan bobotie
A vegan spin on a South African classic
Serves: 4 - 6
1 large aubergine, finely grated
2 carrots, finely grated
4 celery sticks, chopped
8 brown mushrooms, chopped
1 leek, chopped
20ml (4 tsp) curry powder
10ml (2 tsp) turmeric
5-10ml (1-2 tsp) garlic and herb salt
5ml (1 tsp) dried marjoram
Juice of 1 lemon
10ml (2 tsp) stock powder
60ml (4 tbsp) mashed dates
190ml (¾ cup) raisins (optional)
100g cashew nuts
125ml water, or as needed
2.5ml (½ tsp) turmeric
5ml (1 tsp) herb salt
3 bay leaves or lemon leaves
- Place all bobotie ingredients except dates and raisins in a large pot and simmer until veggies are tender.
- Add the dates and raisins if using.
- Place in a casserole dish.
- For the topping, blend the cashew nuts with the water, starting with half a cup and adding more if too thick. Add the turmeric and herb salt. Blend well and pour over the vegetable mixture.
- Insert the bay or lemon leaves halfway into the mixture and bake at 180ºC for 30-45 minutes or until set and golden.
- Serve with brown rice and extra raisins if desired.