RECIPE | Naartjie soufflés with spiced chocolate sauce
Sunday Times reader Adel February shares her recipe for a decadent dessert
Spiced chocolate sauce:
30ml (2 tbsp) milk
15ml (1 tbsp) cream
1 stick of cinnamon
2 star anise
50g chocolate, chopped in small pieces
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
Pinch of coarse salt
To line the ramekins:
15ml (1 tbsp) melted butter
15ml (1 tbsp) caster sugar
80ml (⅓ cup ) naartjie juice
15ml (1 tbsp) finely grated naartjie zest
1 egg yolk
20g caster sugar
20ml cake flour
1 egg white
- To make the spiced chocolate sauce, combine the milk, cream and spices in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Place the chocolate, vanilla extract and salt in a bowl and strain the boiling milk mixture over the top. Once the chocolate is melted, stir gently to mix. Pour into a jug.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C for the soufflés.
- Brush the inside of two ramekins with melted butter and coat with Caster sugar. Place on a baking tray.
- In a saucepan, scald the naartjie juice along with the orange zest.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolk with the sugar. Add the flour and mix again.
- Add a little bit of the scalding juice to the egg mixture and mix that together.
- Add the egg mix back to the saucepan to form the soufflé base mixture, stir with a whisk, and bring it up to a boil.
- Once the soufflé base mixture begins to boil, immediately transfer to a clean bowl and cover with cling wrap (it must touch the surface of the mixture); allow to cool to room temperature.
- Whip the egg white until stiff peaks form and mix half of it into the room temperature base mixture.
- Fold the rest of the egg white into the base mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins, making sure the top is completely flat. Run a knife around the top of the inner side of the ramekin to ensure a perfectly risen soufflé.
- Bake for 12-20 minutes, or until the soufflé has risen to become double in size. Serve immediately with spiced chocolate sauce.
• • This recipe earned Adel February a spot in the finals of the 2018 Sunday Times Goodlife Gautrain Taste Experience.