RECIPE | Self-saucing chocolate whisky pudding
Sunday Times reader Jeanette Wentzel shares a recipe for a boozy dessert that's sure to be a crowd-pleaser on a chilly night
120g (1 cup) self-raising flour
180ml (¾ cup) brown sugar
125ml (½ cup) cocoa powder, plus extra to dust
60g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
125ml (½ cup) full cream milk
2.5ml (½ tsp) vanilla extract
15ml (1 tbsp) instant coffee powder
250ml (1 cup) boiling water
250ml (1 cup) Bain’s whisky
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease a 1.5l ovenproof baking dish.
- Sift the flour, coffee powder, 125ml brown sugar and 60ml cocoa powder into a bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the melted butter, milk, vanilla extract and egg together.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and then fold to combine. Don’t over mix.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the remaining sugar and cocoa and sprinkle over the top of the pudding.
- Carefully pour the boiling water and whisky over the top of the pudding.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Dust with cocoa powder and serve immediately with vanilla ice cream.
• This recipe earned Jeanette Wentzel a spot in the finals of the 2018 Sunday Times Goodlife Gautrain Taste Experience.