RECIPE | Beef & corn cottage pie
No ordinary cottage pie, this comforting dish is flavoured with olives and peppadews and topped with mealie mash
15ml (1 tbsp) oil
2 onions, chopped
600g extra-lean beef mince
10ml (2 tsp) cumin seeds
5ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
2.5 ml chilli flakes OR use chopped fresh chilli to taste
5ml (1 tsp) paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
100ml pitted and chopped green olives
50ml chopped fresh parsley
60ml chopped peppadews
50ml tomato sauce
30ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
1 tin (400g) corn kernels, drained
125g creme fraiche
15ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh basil
Extra basil for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a deep ovenproof pan on medium heat and brown the onions.
- Turn up the heat and add the beef mince. Stir with a fork to break up the meat and then add the cumin, coriander, chilli and paprika.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until there is no liquid left in the pan.
- Lower the heat and stir in the olives, parsley, peppadews, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and remove from the heat.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Roughly blend together the corn, creme fraiche, eggs and some salt and black pepper. The mixture must be textured. Stir in the basil and pour the mixture over the meat in the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden and set.
- Sprinkle with more fresh basil and serve with a salad.
• Recipe and image from 'MEALS, Effortless Food for Every Occasion' by Christine Capendale, Human &Rousseau, R325.