RECIPE | Labarang mince pie
This Cape Malay pie is traditionally served with selection of other treats, such as samoosas and dhaltjies, during Eid. It also makes a delicious everyday supper served with roasted veggies or salad
30ml (2 tbsp) oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1kg steak mince
6 whole cloves
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 allspice (pimento)
Salt to taste
15ml (1 tbsp) freshly ground peppercorns or fine black pepper
125ml (½ cup) sago soaked in 250ml (1 cup) water for 30 minutes
2 x 400g packets of ready made puff pastry
4 hard-boiled eggs, grated
1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oil in a pot on medium to high heat, then add the onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the steak mince, cloves, garlic and spices. Stir and fry for 10 minutes, then add 250ml (1 cup) water and cook on medium heat. Stir when needed until the water has cooked away.
- Add the soaked sago with the water and stir. Cook for 30 minutes on medium to low heat, stirring when needed.
- Transfer the cooked mince mixture to a bowl and allow to cool. Remove all the whole spices. Cover with a cloth and place in the fridge to cool down completely.
- Roll out one sheet of the puff pastry to about 3mm thick and use it to line the bottom of a greased oven roasting pan.
- Spoon in the filling and top with the grated boiled eggs.
- Roll out the second sheet of pastry until it is large enough to cover the mince filling completely, pressing the edges down with a fork.
- Brush the top with egg wash and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Remove pie from the fridge and place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
• This recipe is extracted from 'Cape, Curry & Koesisters' (Human & Rousseau, R350). The authors, twin sisters Fatima Sydow and Gadija Sydow Noordien, like nothing better than sharing their Cape culture through their love of cooking and baking. The pair decided to publish a cookbook following the success of TV show, 'Kaap, Kerrie & Koesisters'. The book is a visual feast and includes some excellent ideas for Ramadan and the Eid celebration.