RECIPE | Apple cinnamon buns
Sweet apples wrapped in soft buttery pastry and dripping with icing; this easy bake is sure to become a family favourite
3 Gala apples, peeled, core and diced.
15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
45ml (3 tbsp) castor sugar
100g softened butter
125ml (½ cup) light brown sugar
10ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
5ml (1 tsp) salt
60ml (4 tbsp) castor sugar
5ml (1 tsp) ground cardamom (optional)
15ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
250ml (1 cup) icing sugar
2ml vanilla essence
Warm water to mix
- Place the diced apple, lemon juice and castor sugar in a small pot and cook gently until the apples are tender. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Combine the softened butter, sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Set aside.
- For the dough, place the flour, salt, castor sugar, cardamom and baking powder into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the butter and, using the paddle attachment, mix until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Combine the eggs and buttermilk and add to the dry mixture. Mix until it forms a dough that is soft but not sticky.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out into a rectangle.
- Spread with the butter mixture and sprinkle over the apples.
- Roll up from the long side to form a tight roll.
- Cut into 12 equal portions. Place each into a well-greased muffin tin.
- Bake at 180ºC for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and stand in the tin for five minutes before placing on a cooling rack.
- Drizzle generously with the glace icing while still warm.
- Delicious served fresh and warm.