RECIPE | Chocolate banana hot cross bun bread and butter pudding
Don't toss stale hot cross buns in the bin, use them to make this decadent dessert
Makes: 1 large pudding or six ramekins
4-5 chocolate hot cross buns, preferably stale
2-3 bananas, sliced
4 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
180ml (¾ cup) caster sugar
250ml (1 cup) full cream milk
250ml (1 cup) cream
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
Sticky brown sugar
- Slice the buns vertically into 4 slices and butter each slice. Pack buttered slices into a baking dish or ramekins with slices of banana tucked in between.
- For the custard, beat together the eggs, yolks, caster sugar, milk, cream and vanilla until well blended.
- Pour the custard mixture into the ramekins over the buns and set aside to allow them to soak up the custard. Keep adding the custard until the buns are well saturated.
- Sprinkle each pudding with brown sugar.
- Place the dish or ramekins into a roasting pan and fill the pan with hot water to come halfway up the side of the dish or ramekins. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of honey, custard or cream.