Hot and cold mocktails to keep you going through lockdown
If nothing else, the colours and flavours of these non-alcoholic drinks will trick you into believing they're the real deal. Cheers!
THE HOT: MULLED GRAPE JUICE
If stocks of red wine are running low, try this trusty winter chill-busting recipe that uses red grape juice instead.
1 litre red grape juice
Zest and juice of 2 oranges
1 sliced orange
250ml (1 cup) cranberry or pomegranate juice
1 sliced lemon or lime
1 stick of cinnamon
5ml (1 tsp) ground nutmeg
1 bay leaf
3 allspice berries
1 star anise
A generous knob of finely sliced ginger
30ml (1 tbsp) pomegranate molasses or syrup
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Just before serving heat through and serve with a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries and extra citrus slices.
THE COLD: THE ICE-O-LATION MOCKTAIL
Run out of spirits to give your mixed drinks a boozy kick? This mocktail still hits the spot sans alcohol.
250ml (1 cup) fresh orange juice
5ml (1 tbsp) lemon or lime juice
250ml (1 cup) soda or sparkling water (or ginger ale or bitter lemon)
A dash of sugar, optional
Pinch of salt
Handful of mint leaves
- Mix the orange and lemon or lime juice in a jug.
- Fill two glasses with ice and pour the juice mixture in the glass till half full.
- Add the soda or sparkling water, a dash of sugar if desired and a pinch of salt.
- Lightly crush the mint leaves and divide between the 2 glasses.
- Pop in an eco-friendly straw and garnish with a slice of orange and enjoy.