Fast, fuss-free chocolate cakes (you don't even have to turn the oven on)
This pair of delish no-bake cakes are a doddle to make
NO-BAKE CHOC-CHIP COOKIE CAKE
750ml (3 cups) cream
250g tub full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
45ml (3 tbsp) sugar
30ml (2 tbsp) brandy, optional
48 ready-made choc chip cookies
Seasonal berries, to serve
- Beat together the cream, cream cheese and sugar. Stir in the brandy, if using; cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Spread a circle of chilled cream mixture on a pedestal cake stand leaving a 2-3 cm border around the edge. Arrange a layer of cookies over the cream without overlapping.
- Repeat with remaining cookies and cream, ending with cream.
- Cover loosely with clingfilm and refrigerate overnight; this will allow the cookies to soften so the dessert can be cut like a cake.
- Serve topped with seasonal berries.
NO-BAKE CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
Makes: 1 loaf cake
45ml (3 tbsp) golden syrup
200g sweet plain biscuits, lightly crushed
50g glacé cherries, quartered
150g dark chocolate, chopped
50g white chocolate, chopped
50g dark chocolate
150g icing sugar, sifted
- Grease or spray a small loaf pan and line with baking paper.
- For the cake, melt the butter and syrup in a saucepan and stir in the biscuit pieces, raisins and cherries.
- Add the dark chocolate and stir over a low heat until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the white chocolate.
- Press mixture firmly into the prepared tin and chill until set.
- Turn out onto a serving plate and remove the paper.
- For the icing, melt the chocolate and butter with 30ml (2 tbsp) water over a low heat. Do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in the icing sugar, beating until cool and thick.
- Spread the icing all over the cake with a knife, swirling to give it texture. Leave to harden before cutting into thin slices.