RECIPE | Minty potato and pea salad
Mint, peas and potato are a never-fail combination. Serve this salad alongside fish cooked on the coals or chicken for a perfect summer meal
Serves: 8 -10 as a side dish
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes (plus cooling, marinating)
2kg medium potatoes for boiling, scrubbed
60ml (¼ cup) white wine vinegar
2 golden shallots, finely diced (or use 1 small onion)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Juice and finely grated rind of 1 lemon
200g frozen peas
100g sugar snap peas, trimmed
250ml (1 cup) pea microgreens/tendrils
250ml (1 cup) coarsely torn mint
50ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the potatoes and enough cold water to cover generously in a large saucepan, bring to the boil over a medium-high heat and cook until tender when pierced with a skewer or sharp knife (30-40 minutes). Drain and set aside until the potatoes are cool enough to handle.
- Peel and halve the still-warm potatoes, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the vinegar, shallots, garlic and lemon juice and rind, season to taste, toss to combine and set aside to cool to room temperature (30 minutes, or overnight for an even deeper flavour).
- Blanch the peas until just tender, about 1 minute. Drain, refresh and drain again.
- Blanch sugar snap peas until bright green and just tender (1-2 minutes), drain, refresh, and drain again, then halve lengthways.
- Add the peas, sugar snap peas, pea microgreens/tendrils and mint to the potato mixture, drizzle with the oil and buttermilk, toss to combine, season to taste and serve. - Aremedia.com.au/Magazinefeatures.co.za