RECIPE | Spiced potato salad with yoghurt dressing and fried onion
The Indian spices in this salad add earthy flavours, while the yoghurty dressing contributes just the right amount of tang
Serves: 8 as a side dish
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes (plus cooling)
1.2kg potatoes for boiling, unpeeled and halved
10ml (2 tsp) saffron threads, or use a pinch of turmeric
50ml olive oil
10ml (2 tsp) each cumin seeds
10ml (2 tsp) coriander seeds
15ml (1 tbsp) finely grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 long green chillies, thinly sliced
125ml (½ cup) thick plain yoghurt
Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
Olive oil, for shallow-frying
3 golden shallots, or 1 small onion, thinly sliced into rings
3 fresh curry leaf sprigs
- Combine the potato, saffron, 2 litres cold water and 2 tsp sea salt in a large saucepan, bring to the boil over a medium-high heat and cook until the potato is tender when pierced with a skewer or sharp knife (15-20 minutes), then drain and set aside in a large bowl to cool.
- For the dressing, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat, then add the cumin and coriander seeds and cook until fragrant (1 minute).
- Add the ginger, garlic and half the chilli and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in the yoghurt and lemon rind and juice. Season to taste.
- Add the dressing to the potato mixture, toss to coat and set aside.
- Heat 2cm-3cm oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the shallot and shallow-fry, stirring frequently, until crisp and golden, adding the curry leaves and remaining chilli in the last minute of cooking (2-3 minutes). Drain in a metal sieve, discarding oil.
- Scatter the shallots and curry leaves over potato mixture and serve. — Aremedia.com.au/Magazinefeatures.co.za