RECIPE | Warm potato salad with lime butter
This fried potato salad with a buttery dressing is great served with smoky chicken hot off the coals, or delicious served as a snack with a glass of chilled white wine
Serves: 4 - 6 as a side dish or snack
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes (plus soaking)
1kg medium-sized baby potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 3mm-thick slices on a mandolin
60g butter, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Finely grated rind and juice of 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
5ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika, plus extra to serve
Olive oil, for shallow-frying
100g feta cheese, coarsely crumbled
3 pickled chillies, thinly sliced
Fresh coriander, to serve
- Soak the potatoes in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes to remove starch, drain, rinse, then blot thoroughly dry with absorbent paper.
- While the potatoes are soaking, stir the butter, garlic, lime rind and smoked paprika in a saucepan over a low heat until the butter melts, then cook gently until well flavoured (8-10 minutes). Season to taste, remove from the heat, add the lime juice and set aside.
- Heat 3cm oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat until just shimmering, add the potato in batches and shallow-fry, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender (4-5 minutes).
- Drain well on absorbent paper, transfer to a bowl, drizzle with a little lime butter, season to taste and toss to combine.
- Crumble feta over the potatoes, scatter with the pickled chilli and coriander, dust with the extra paprika and serve with lime wedges and extra lime butter. - Aremedia.com.au/Magazinefeatures.co.za