RECIPE | Toasted hot cross bun ice cream
Toasted hot cross bun crumbs add texture and a caramelised flavour to this delicious no-churn ice cream. Trust us, you won't be able to resist having a second scoop
4-5 hot cross buns (stale ones are even better) broken into small pieces, to make up 2 cups (500ml)
60ml (4 tbsp) butter - for flavour's sake don't use margarine
125ml (½ cup) brown sugar
7.5ml (1½ tsp) mixed spice or a combination of ground cinnamon and nutmeg and a pinch of cloves
For the ice cream:
500ml (2 cups) fresh cream
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
1 x 385g can condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Place the bun pieces in a food processor and process till you almost have breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, turning the crumbs halfway, until they're dried out and fragrant. Set aside.
- Preheat a large non-stick pan and melt the butter till it's just turning to a light brownish colour. Add the sugar and spices and mix through before adding the dried bun crumbs and, stirring constantly, toast them till they are golden brown and the mixture is a bit sticky. Set aside to cool completely.
- For the ice cream, beat the cream using an electric mixer till it is billowy and has doubled in volume.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat through.
- Stir the condensed milk through the cream mixture.
- Fold in the cold crumbs, ensuring they're mixed through.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-litre container with a lid and freeze, preferably overnight.
- Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.