RECIPE | Halloumi and roasted vegetable tray bake recipe
A vegetarian main course with lots of different textures and colour. Or great as an all-in-one side dish for a braai or to accompany a steak or roast
500g new potatoes, halved
½ head of broccoli, broken into florets
1 green, red or orange pepper, cored and chopped
1 punnet cocktail tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
4-6 stalks of spring onions, save greens for garnish
30ml -45ml (2-3 tbsp) olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Stalks of fresh thyme
250g halloumi cheese, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Par-boil the new potatoes on the stove top till just tender and drain, retaining the water in the pot. Spread the potatoes out over a baking tray.
- Return the pot with potato water to the stove and bring to the boil before adding the broccoli florets and blanching for 3-5 minutes. Drain and add to the baking tray.
- Add the chopped peppers, tomatoes, garlic and spring onions to the baking tray. Pour over the olive oil, season generously and toss to mix.
- Add the thyme stalks and roast for 30-40 minutes, tossing after 15 minutes.
- Remove tray from the oven and divide the halloumi slices over the vegetables. Return to the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese is softening and browning.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped spring onions greens.