RECIPE | Mexican chicken tray bake
This spicy chicken dish is the perfect meal to indulge in during the colder months
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks
15ml (1 tbsp) taco or chicken seasoning
1 jar tomato salsa, or 1 can chopped tomato & onion
500g pumpkin or butternut, seeded, peeled, cut into wedges
1 red onion, cut into wedges
3 red and yellow peppers, seeded, thinly sliced
1 punnet mixed cherry tomatoes
15ml (1 tbsp) avocado or olive oil
1 avocado, stoned, peeled, thinly sliced
180ml sour cream or plain full cream yoghurt
10ml (2 tsp) chilli or hot sauce (optional)
15ml (1 tbsp) lime juice
Serving tip: Add additional mashed avocado or guacamole to serve
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. In a large bowl, toss the chicken thighs and drumsticks with the taco seasoning.
- Spoon tomato salsa over the base of a casserole dish. Arrange the pumpkin, onion, peppers and tomatoes over the salsa. Top with chicken mixture. Drizzle with oil.
- Bake, turning occasionally, for 35-40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the chilli-lime cream, combine the sour cream, chilli sauce and lime juice in a small bowl. Season.
- Arrange the avocado and coriander over the chicken mixture in the pan. Serve with the chilli-lime cream and extra guacamole.
• See avocado.co.za
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.