5 lighting tips to create the perfect atmosphere in your living space
Ever feel like changing the atmosphere in a room? Start with lighting - a sure way to inject new life into a space without breaking the bank or tearing down the walls. Here are some useful tips.
1. Ask yourself what kind of atmosphere you want and choose the appropriate lampshade. Solid shades give off a softer, more concentrated light, while sheer or woven ones ensure light spills over the whole room.
2. When shopping for a light fitting, look for something you will love for years. Choose timeless and classic over cheap and cheerful, but if you can find both in one, consider yourself lucky.
3. An important aspect to consider is scale and height, keeping in mind that once you have overhead lights and atmosphere sorted, you can add additional light sources for specific tasks like reading.
4. The type of light bulb you use is also important. Choose warm energy savers for bedrooms and lounges, and cooler or LED for work spaces such as a study or kitchen. You can always add another light source to create the perfect atmosphere for a calm and relaxing space.
5. With the right tools and a bit of common sense and determination, you can change a lampshade yourself. Totally liberating! A ladder and screwdriver are the basics. Watch a few YouTube videos if you need a push - and, most important, switch off the main power supply before you start!