Finders Keepers 2018: terms and conditions
The fine print you need to read before you compete
These terms and conditions (“Terms and Conditions”) apply to the 2018 Finders Keepers competition (“the Competition”), which is run by the Sunday Times newspaper, published by Tiso Blackstar Group (Pty) Ltd (“Tiso Blackstar”), and SPAR (Pty) Ltd (“Spar”).
Please contact us on 011 340 9489 (weekdays during office hours, 9am–5pm) or email email@example.com if you do not understand any part of these Terms and Conditions or if you have questions about the Terms and Conditions or the Competition.
By entering the Competition, you confirm that you have read and agree to be legally bound to these Terms and Conditions.
1. The Competition starts on Sunday April 8 2018 when the first week’s instructions will be published in the Sunday Times print newspaper (“the Newspaper”) and on the Finders Keepers website at www.finderskeepers.co.za (“the Website”). It runs over 6 weeks, with the last week’s instructions published in the Newspaper and on the Website on Sunday May 13 2018.
2. Tiso Blackstar and SPAR reserve the right to extend or shorten the duration of the Competition, subject to these Terms and Conditions. (Also see point 17 below.)
3. All persons resident in South Africa, including South African citizens and foreign nationals, who are older than 18 years and in possession of a valid South African identity document or valid foreign passport may enter the Competition.
4. The following persons may not take part in this Competition, even if they qualify to enter: all employees of Tiso Blackstar and SPAR, as well as all employees of advertising agents or consultants relating to this Competition; any supplier of goods and services in connection with this Competition; the spouses, life partners, siblings, children or parents of any of the persons named above; and legal entities.
5. To enter, visit the Website to read the full instructions for the Competition. Entries for each week of the Competition can be submitted on the Website or via the USSD number published weekly in the Newspaper and on the Website.
6. Entrants must supply their valid South African identity number or valid foreign passport number when prompted by the Website or USSD system, as well as their mobile phone number. Entrants whose names are drawn for a prize will be required to produce their original South African identity document or foreign passport as proof.
7. In each week of the Competition:
a. an entrant can submit the answers to all 6 of that week’s clues – as displayed in the Newspaper and on the Website – only once before 12pm on the Friday of that week, to create 1 entry only into the week’s prize draw;
b. an entrant can submit the print bonus number published in the same week’s Newspaper only once before 12pm on the Friday of that week, to create an automatic second entry into the week’s prize draw;
c. no entrant shall have more than 2 Competition entries per week, comprising the entrant’s original entry and a possible automatic second entry if the entrant supplied a print bonus number (please note that any additional entries that may have been received in that week will be discarded);
d. one entrant who submitted the correct answers to all 6 of each week’s clues will win R40,000 in cash through a random draw to be repeated until an entrant with 6 correct answers is found; and
e. one entrant who submitted a valid SPAR till-slip number as proof of buying the SPAR product of the week (stipulated in that same week’s Newspaper and on the Website) will win R10,000 in cash through a random draw that will be repeated until an entrant with a valid till slip is found (entrants must save all original till slips as proof).
8. At the end of the competition, one entrant who submitted 6 correct answers for all 6 weeks of the Competition will win R700,000 in cash through a random draw, to be repeated until an entrant with 6 correct answers for all 6 weeks is found.
9. Entrants can start taking part in the Competition at any point during the 6 weeks by completing previous weeks’ clues on the Website, but will only be eligible for weekly prizes from and including the week they start playing.
10. Entrants can only win a weekly prize once during the Competition. If a previous weekly winner is drawn in a weekly draw, that entrant’s name will be discarded and the draw will be repeated.
11. Winners will be contacted by email and/or telephonically. Prizes must be taken up as awarded and cannot be transferred to any other person or third party, or sold or converted in any way. Prizes will be transferred to a winner’s verified bank account or a verified bank account nominated in writing by the winner.
12. Weekly winners will be announced within 14 days after the weekly draw. The overall winner will be announced within 21 days of the final draw.
13. Tiso Blackstar may publish a winner’s name in the Newspaper, on the Website and on related social media channels unless the winner does not give Tiso Blackstar permission to do so.
14. If Tiso Blackstar cannot get hold of a weekly prize winner within 7 days after the weekly draw, Tiso Blackstar will do a fresh draw for that week’s prize.
15. If Tiso Blackstar cannot get hold of the overall prize winner within 14 days after the final draw, Tiso Blackstar will do a fresh draw for the overall prize.
16. Entrants that do any of the following, or attempt to do any of the following, whether alone or through any other person or party, will immediately be disqualified from the Competition: hacking into the Website, USSD system or any related social media channels to manipulate the Competition; or doing anything to manipulate the outcome of the Competition.
17. Tiso Blackstar and SPAR have the right to end this competition at any time. If this happens, Tiso Blackstar will publish a notice in the Newspaper, on the Website and on related social media channels. In such an event, entrants agree to waive any rights that they may have in relation to the Competition and acknowledge they will have no claims against Tiso Blackstar and SPAR.
18. Tiso Blackstar and SPAR reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time. Tiso Blackstar will publish any such changes in the Newspaper, on the Website and on related social media channels. The date on which these Terms and Conditions were last amended is shown above. It is all entrants’ responsibility to check these Terms and Conditions for any amendments.
19. Entrants will not hold Tiso Blackstar and/or SPAR liable for any technical errors originating from Tiso Blackstar, the Website, the USSD system or related social media channels.
20. Entrants are responsible for any data, cellphone or other charges they may have to pay to gain the necessary network or internet access to enter the Competition.
21. The clauses in these Terms and Conditions are severable. This means that if any clause in these Terms and Conditions is found to be unlawful, it will be removed and the remaining clauses will still apply.
22. Wherever time has been referred to in these Terms and Conditions, it refers to GMT +2.
23. These Terms and Conditions and the Competition are governed by the law of the Republic of South Africa. An auditor will oversee the weekly and overall prize allocation process to ensure fairness and correctness. The judges’ decision will remain final. Tiso Blackstar and/or SPAR will enter into no further correspondence.