Sam Smith to undergo vocal surgery, cancels shows - Times LIVE
   
Latest
Sat Dec 10 22:28:58 SAST 2016

Sam Smith to undergo vocal surgery, cancels shows

AFP Relaxnews | 2015-05-08 13:12:06.0
British singer Sam Smith
Image by: ©AFP PHOTO / JUSTIN TALLIS

Sam Smith, the 22-year-old singer whose incessant touring helped make him a global sensation, said he would undergo surgery on his vocal cords and canceled weeks of shows.

After flying to Los Angeles to see a specialist for a hemorrhage on his vocal cords, Smith said that doctors told him he needed an operation.

"I'm so gutted to be missing all the shows and events I was meant to be playing at," he wrote on Instagram.

"The doctors say I will be back in six to eight weeks and I cannot wait to sing for you all soon," he wrote.

Smith said he was told that, after the operation, "I'm gonna be able to sing like never before, so it's worth it."

Smith said he would undergo the operation next week and would not be able to speak -- let alone sing -- for three weeks afterward.

Among his upcoming dates, Smith had been scheduled to sing May 16 at the inaugural Rock in Rio USA festival in Las Vegas.

He also canceled appearances at two major British events -- the BBC Radio 1 Big Weekend in Norwich and the Capital FM Summertime Ball at London's Wembley Stadium -- and June 17-18 shows at the Olympia in Paris.

Smith earlier called off shows in Japan, the Philippines and Australia, where doctors noticed the hemorrhage following a concert in Sydney.

Smith, who until a few years ago was a bartender in London, quickly won a global fan base with his soulful ballad about a one-night stand, "Stay With Me," and maintained a punishing travel schedule.

He was the big winner at the Grammys in February, winning awards in three of the four most prestigious categories.

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.
X