Fire breaks out at SABC studios, fire-fighters monitoring
Fire-fighters are monitoring the SABC's Henley Studios in Auckland Park on Thursday morning after a fire broke out, Johannesburg emergency services said.
"The fire started at studio six last night at around 8pm and fire-fighters were not able to contain the fire," spokesman Niel Rooi said.
"There is a lot of smoke and they are busy damping down the building. We will not leave until we are certain that the fire is out."
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said the fire broke out at Isidingo production studios. Isidingo is a soapie that plays on SABC 3 at 7.30pm, weekdays.
"No one was injured as everyone had already left. We will be assessing the situation this morning," he said.
"The cause of the fire as well as damage assessment will be done this morning. We are not alarmed as programs will continue to run as normal."
SABC acting COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng told Morning Live that the fire would cost the public broadcaster tens of millions of rands.
"As the SABC we are very shocked. As you know financially we are not sound," he said.
"This is something that we don't know how to handle but we will get there."
Kganyago said they were not sure if the fire had spread to other studios.