Thousands of pupils to rewrite matric papers‚ says Motshekga
More than 82 700 matric pupils from the class of 2015 will write supplementary exams‚ says the department of basic education.
The supplementary examinations will start on February 10 and will continue until March 17‚ Minister Angie Motshekga said in a statement on Friday.
At 22 268‚ the Eastern Cape has the highest number of pupils registered to sit for the exams. Limpopo has 17 000‚ Gauteng has 10 000 and KwaZulu-Natal has 8600 candidates.
Motshekga said the department was introducing new streams into the education system to give pupils the option of entering vocational and occupational pathways. It was hoped that this would reduce the high drop-out rate at schools.
“The technical vocational and vocational occupational programmes have been crafted to be in line with the technical vocational needs of the country‚ to effectively address the skills shortages and build the economy without compromising the right of any learner to quality education and training”‚ she said.
She said the 2016 school year had started well “with a few glitches” regarding late admissions. The department had also monitored school readiness and 803 schools were visited before schools closed at the end of last year and a further 799 schools were visited after schools reopened in January.