Fight against crime continues: Mthethwa
Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa on Sunday said the fight against crime continued despite recent upheavals in top police structure.
"We are cognisant of the recent negative publicity and its impact on the morale of the police across the organisation," he said during a meeting with deputy Maggie Sotyu and police management.
They were discussing and reviewing progress in the fight against crime and looked at the current challenges the department faced, ministerial spokesman Zweli Mnisi said a statement.
"The police are at war with criminals and that is ongoing. We have to look beyond publicity and establish whether there are facts or merits that justify those negative perceptions," Mthethwa said.
He said current investigations and disciplinary actions involving senior members of the police did not and should not distract police or the public from the fight against crime.
"As a collective, we remain confident that we shall overcome the current challenges."
Former crime intelligence head Lt-Gen Richard Mdluli was interdicted by the labour court this week from performing any duties as a police official pending an application to reinstate criminal and disciplinary charges against him.
And Last year, Public Protector Thuli Madonsela found that then national police commissioner Bheki Cele's involvement in deals to acquire police office space was "improper, unlawful and amounted to maladministration".
He was suspended.
Mthethwa said government, including the police, was subject to the rule of law and the intricacies of litigation. Therefore all parties concerned, as well as the media and the public, must allow these process to unfold.
"While current cases and decisions are pending, the police remains focused on ensuring that all South Africans are and feel safe.
"The thousands of men and women in the police who are keeping our communities safe daily are unaffected by the cases under discussion."