Latest
Tue Dec 06 14:02:39 SAST 2016

Cope demands security minister explain R50 million theft

TMG News Wires | 2016-01-04 14:30:20.0
David Mahlobo.
Image by: Trevor Samson/ Business Day

Opposition party the Congress of the People has called for State Security Minister David Mahlobo to explain the theft of R50-million from the ministry’s safe.

In a statement issued on Monday‚ COPE said it was “incensed that the state’s spy HQ‚ supposedly as safe as ten banks‚ had R50 million stolen from its safe on the third floor”.

The Sunday Times reported on the weekend that R50-million had been stolen from the ministry‚ most of it in foreign currency. There has been speculation that the theft was an inside job.

COPE questioned the necessity of keeping such a large amount of cash on the premises‚ and also whether Treasury had been informed that such a large sum was kept in the ministry’s safe.

“This theft is about the very worst advertisement for the State Security Agency. It also reflects very poorly on its agents‚ its security measures and the management as a whole. How would any insider‚ besides one or two persons‚ have knowledge that R50 million was in the safe?‚” the party said in its statement.

COPE said the minister “must give the nation a proper explanation of how the R50 million disappeared”.

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.
X