Latest
 
  • All Share : 53905.21
    DOWN -1.04%
    Top40 - (Tradeable) : 47974.09
    DOWN -0.98%
    Financial 15 : 15138.03
    DOWN -1.41%
    Industrial 25 : 73978.09
    DOWN -0.48%
    Resource 10 : 31349.65
    DOWN -2.58%

  • ZAR/USD : 15.6828
    DOWN -0.23%
    ZAR/GBP : 22.6966
    DOWN -0.16%
    ZAR/EUR : 17.4663
    DOWN -0.15%
    ZAR/JPY : 0.1422
    UP 0.49%
    ZAR/AUD : 11.3895
    UP 0.23%

  • Gold US$/oz : 1215.7
    UP 0.06%
    Platinum US$/oz : 974
    DOWN -0.31%
    Silver US$/oz : 15.98
    UP 0.19%
    Palladium US$/oz : 545
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Brent Crude : 49.69
    UNCHANGED0.00%

  • All data is delayed by 15 min. Data supplied by Profile Data
    Hover cursor over this ticker to pause.

Wed Jun 01 09:30:46 SAST 2016

EFF slams SABC call-in election rules

Jenni Evans | 01 March, 2016 18:56
Spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said it was not a ban, but that only journalists would be allowed to handle election-related calls because they were equipped to do so. File photo
Image by: Waldo Swiegers. (C) Sunday Times.

The Economic Freedom Fighters tried to table a motion slamming the SABC's new rules on open lines ahead of the elections during a session in the National Assembly on Tuesday.

EFF MP Hlengiwe Maxon said this represented a move to close up public spaces because open lines gave a chance for ordinary voices to be heard.

The ANC objected to the motion, and it fell away.

On Sunday, City Press and Sunday Times reported that SABC staff had been instructed to limit the topics allowed on some open lines.

Spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said it was not a ban, but that only journalists would be allowed to handle election-related calls because they were equipped to do so.

Maxon called on the SABC "to stop violating freedom of speech" and asked the Independent Communications Authority of SA to investigate.

This mirrors a similar call by the Democoratic Alliance on Sunday.

The EFF said earlier it would be in the National Assembly for the debate on the DA's proposed motion of no confidence in President Jacob Zuma, but that it would not participate in the debate, just in other matters.

This was because they were waiting for the Constitutional Court to rule on its application which contended that Zuma violated his oath of office over his approach to the Public Protector's report on the R246 million spent on his home in Nkandla.

Source News 24

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.