• All Share : 52957.32
    DOWN -0.50%
    Top40 - (Tradeable) : 46471
    DOWN -0.69%
    Financial 15 : 15475.66
    DOWN -1.68%
    Industrial 25 : 69839.36
    DOWN -0.64%
    Resource 10 : 32203.24
    UP 0.56%

  • ZAR/USD : 14.2302
    DOWN -0.37%
    ZAR/GBP : 20.7452
    DOWN -0.39%
    ZAR/EUR : 16.2838
    UP 0.48%
    ZAR/JPY : 0.1333
    UP 1.29%
    ZAR/AUD : 10.7991
    DOWN -0.86%

  • Gold US$/oz : 1292.4
    UP 2.05%
    Platinum US$/oz : 1077
    UP 2.47%
    Silver US$/oz : 17.82
    UP 1.65%
    Palladium US$/oz : 621
    Brent Crude : 48.13
    UP 0.44%

  • All data is delayed by 15 min. Data supplied by Profile Data
    Hover cursor over this ticker to pause.

Sat Apr 30 18:58:28 SAST 2016

Lost academic rescued

POPPY LOUW | 26 November, 2012 00:29
Mariepskop mountain, near Hoedspruit.

A Polish entomologist who went missing while doing research a week ago was yesterday rescued from the Mariepskop mountain, near Hoedspruit.

Mountain Club of SA search and rescue team spokesman Dean van der Merwe said Pawel Jaloszynski was "unharmed and in good spirits" and was rescued from a deep river valley.

"He had not eaten for six days but managed to make a few jokes," said Van der Merwe.

Jaloszynski, a professor at the University of Wroclaw, in Poland, had arranged a tour to South Africa for himself and three colleagues to collect insect samples.

Van der Merwe said the four were following a poor trail when Jaloszynski lost sight of his colleagues. He sent them an SMS on Sunday afternoon saying he was lost. That was the last time they heard from him.

"He fortunately had a bag with basic camping equipment. He managed to make a fire until Thursday when it was extinguished by a thunderstorm and flash flood."

At least 60 people from various search and rescue teams, and his three colleagues, searched for Jaloszynski from 5am every day since Monday.

Jaloszynski was rescued just after 9am yesterday morning by an air force helicopter from the Hoedspruit base.

The near-sighted Jaloszynski lost his glasses during the week as he tried in vain to swat away a swarm of bees. He sustained bee stings on his arms.

"He was checked by paramedics at the scene and they said he did not have to go to a hospital," said Van der Merwe.


If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.