Raped teen's last words - Times LIVE
Fri Apr 28 18:06:59 SAST 2017

Raped teen's last words

NASHIRA DAVIDS | 2013-02-08 00:06:25.0

Image by: Gallo Images/Thinkstock

"Now I'm going to sleep," Anene Booysen told her foster mother, at her bedside at Tygerberg Hospital, in Cape Town.

Shortly after, the 17-year-old took her last breath.

She had been gang-raped and savagely mutilated in the quiet town of Bredasdorp. Miraculously, she survived for several hours after the ordeal.

"She was so strong," whispered her aunt, Pauline Harmse. "She even told her mother who had done this to her. Then she said she was cold and her mother covered her with a blanket."

Booysen named a friend as among her attackers. The police swooped on the 23-year-old on Sunday. He made his first appearance in the Bredasdorp Magistrate's Court on Tuesday. Police spokesman Captain FC van Wyk said his next appearance would be on Tuesday.

Another suspect was arrested on Wednesday night.

'The investigation continues and more arrests are imminent," said Van Wyk.

Booysen's family is preparing to bury her tomorrow.

The girl's short life had been fraught with hardship.

Her biological mother died when she was very young, and Corlia and Marco Olivier took her and her brother in.

"My brother and his wife accepted the children as their own. Anene was a very loving person," Harmse said.

But the family struggled financially and eventually the girl abandoned her education to help put food on the table, her aunt said.

"She left school in [Grade 7] because they struggled so much."

On Friday, the youngster went to a pub with her friends. Her mother woke in the early hours of Saturday to discover that she had not returned home.

She went in search of Booysen at the pub.

"Her mother told her to come home but Anene said she was busy.

"At 5am someone knocked on the door - she had to confirm that it was Anene who had been attacked," said Harmse.

The first thing Olivier saw were the girl's shoes - she had a special way of tying her laces - and she knew immediately that the injured girl was her daughter.

Western Cape health spokesman Faiza Steyn said the family had asked that the extent of the injuries not be detailed - but hospital staff had been so traumatised that they needed counselling.

Harmse said the family was shocked by the identity of the arrested man.

"We know him. We never thought he could be capable of something like this. Anene's mother is not dealing with this. She cannot even speak any more."


If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.