• All Share : 51113.87
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Top 40 : 4234.03
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Financial 15 : 14714.55
    UNCHANGED0.00%
    Industrial 25 : 59751.66
    UNCHANGED0.00%

  • ZAR/USD : 10.7079
    UP 0.40%
    ZAR/GBP : 17.7528
    UP 0.21%
    ZAR/EUR : 14.0480
    UP 0.32%
    ZAR/JPY : 0.1021
    DOWN -0.14%
    ZAR/AUD : 9.9478
    DOWN -0.07%

  • Gold : 1281.3850
    DOWN -0.40%
    Platinum : 1423.0000
    DOWN -0.07%
    Silver : 19.4853
    UP 0.10%
    Palladium : 906.5000
    UP 0.28%
    Brent Crude Oil : 102.790
    DOWN -0.03%

  • All data is delayed by 15 min. Data supplied by INET BFA
    Hover cursor over this ticker to pause.

Tue Sep 02 08:51:09 SAST 2014

UN issues Congo peace invitations

Sapa-AP | 18 February, 2013 00:25
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
Image by: MIKE THEILER / REUTERS

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has sent out invitations to a signing ceremony this month for the large-scale peace agreement aimed at ending the fighting in Congo, the UN said on Saturday.

UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said Ban will attend the February 24 event in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

The agreement had been expected to be signed at the African Union summit in Addis Ababa on January 28, but was delayed over what Ban called "procedural issues".

Nesirky said the agreement has been circulated to 11 countries including Congo, the Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, South Africa, Angola, Tanzania and Mozambique.

The peace deal is an effort at a large-scale political framework to end violence in Congo. Separate talks are taking place in Uganda between the rebel group known as M23 and Congolese officials.

Jean Baptiste Rudaseswa, a lawyer for M23, has said the plan could further destabilise Congo.

Mineral-rich eastern Congo has been engulfed in fighting since the 1994 Rwanda genocide. The UN has more than 17700 peacekeepers and more than 1400 international police in Congo, but they did little to protect civilians as M23 rebels swept through eastern Congo last year to seize the key city of Goma.

UN peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous said this month there is growing agreement on the need to create an "intervention brigade", which would be part of the UN force, and give it a mandate to rein in, neutralise and disarm rebel groups in the east.

Ladsous said the agreement will spell out what Congo must do to reform the security sector and army and reassert its authority in the east. It will also include commitments by countries of the region to respect each other's sovereignty and cooperate to address the underlying causes of the recurring violence in the east, including the presence of numerous armed groups.

SHARE YOUR OPINION

If you have an opinion you would like to share on this article, please send us an e-mail to the Times LIVE iLIVE team. In the mean time, click here to view the Times LIVE iLIVE section.
Tue Sep 02 08:51:09 SAST 2014 ::