Driver to face trial over Burry Stander's death
A culpable homicide charge has been reinstated against the driver of the taxi that killed mountain biker Burry Stander.
National Prosecuting Authority spokeswoman Natasha Ramkisson yesterday said the chief prosecutor of the southern KwaZulu-Natal region has received a directive from the Director of Public Prosecutions office in Pietermaritzburg to prosecute Njabulo Nyawose.
Last month, Stander's family wrote to the chief prosecutor to express their anger when the charge against Nyawose was withdrawn pending the decision from the Director of Public Prosecutions. Ramkisson yesterday said Nyawose will receive a summons to appear in court on August 21.
Stander's brother Duane said: "We just want to see that there is a fair trial and that there is justice for Burry. When the matter was withdrawn, we were disappointed because it sent out the wrong message to other road users."
Stander was killed while riding in Shelly Beach in KwaZulu-Natal in January.
Stander competed in the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games and narrowly missed a medal last year. He was the under-23 men's cross-country champion of the 2009 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup and came third in the mountain bike world championships in Canada in 2010.