ANC appeals for calm after Fransman Facebook rant
The ANC has appealed to warring Western Cape factions to stop fighting in public.
The plea came after Marius Fransman, the sidelined party leader in the province, made comments on Facebook voicing dissatisfaction with being asked to step aside while the ANC investigated allegations he sexually harassed a 20-year-old woman.
Fransman said he had been "unfairly treated".
"I was shocked to hear through media articles that I was officially replaced as the leader of the opposition," Fransman wrote on Wednesday after the ANC published a statement saying his deputy, Khaya Magaxa, was now the new leader of the opposition in the provincial legislature.
He said the decision by the party's national leadership to ask him to step aside was never formally communicated to him.
In response, ANC national spokesman, Zizi Kodwa, cautioned Fransman and other ANC members to communicate statements using party structures.
"Even if he does not feel comfortable about certain issues, [to] comment on social media in the manner that he has done is doing himself a disservice," said Kodwa.
"We want to build a united ANC in the Western Cape. We still want to call on all, leadership and individuals, to desist from commenting on anything that may appear to divide the organisation."
The ANC Youth League criticised Fransman and a Facebook group set up in his support.
"The ANCYL is concerned that such ill-discipline would only divide the ANC in the province and seeks to undermine its integrity and unity," said Western Cape spokesman Siyabulela Tom.
Fransman could not be reached for comment yesterday.