A TRULY SA SALAD STARTER
6 naartjies, peeled and sliced horizontally in 3-4 slices (you can use small oranges)
150ml made with boiling water and 2 rooibos tea bags
2 bulbs of fennel or 2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
A large handful of rocket or mixed lettuce leaves, optional
½ bunch of spring onion, finely sliced on the diagonal
90g thinly sliced biltong
A handful of chopped toasted macadamia nuts
Reserved rooibos tea from soaking naartjies
10ml (2 tsp) runny honey
100ml olive or vegetable oil
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the naartjie slices and the cooled rooibos tea and leave to stand for 15 minutes before draining off tea and reserving.
- Divide the naartjie slices and place on the base of six individual plates or a serving platter.
- Top with fennel, rocket or lettuce leaves and spring onion and toss to mix.
- For the dressing combine the reserved rooibos tea, honey, oil, garlic and seasoning in a glass jar with screw top lid and shake well.
- Just before serving pour over the dressing and sprinkle with biltong slices and nuts and serve.