JOB ADS | Entertainment reporter
Here's your chance to join the team at one of South Africa's most innovative publishers
Reporting to: Group entertainment editor
Location: Parktown, Johannesburg
Please note this is a short-term contract position for five months.
We are looking for a reporter to work in our specialist TshisaLIVE entertainment team, producing original and relevant daily entertainment content for all Tiso Blackstar Group websites, including TimesLIVE and SowetanLIVE, that is designed to attract readers and give them on-the-pulse coverage of what’s hot in the world of Mzansi’s celebs.
If you think you have what it takes to work for some of the biggest news websites in SA, here is what we are looking for:
- Conceptualising a strong daily diary of seven entertainment stories comprising original content as well as trending leads.
- Writing daily entertainment stories based on briefs from the editorial team leader and other team members.
- Contributing original ideas to the long-term diary.
- Working with other journalists (print or digital) in the Tiso Blackstar Group newsroom on stories where necessary.
- Briefing the Tiso Blackstar Group multimedia and data journalism teams on opportunities for different ways of story-telling.
- Weekend and after-hours work will be required.
Required skills and attributes:
- Strong English-language writing and communication skills.
- A passion for entertainment news and being in the know where SA’s celebs are concerned.
- Digitally savvy, with knowledge of social media trends and digital news consumption.
- Speed and accuracy are paramount.
- Self-motivated team player.
Skills that would be an advantage
- Experience in a digital role in a newsroom.
Qualifications and experience
- At least 1–2 years’ experience as a reporter in a newsroom.
- Valid driver’s licence.
Applications deadline: July 22 2019
Your CV and a short cover letter should be addressed to Karishma Thakurdin on email@example.com.
E-mail subject line: Entertainment reporter application
Tiso Blackstar Group applies the principles of the Employment Equity Act and, as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. If we do not respond to you in the next two months, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.