OR Tambo heist suspect receives death threats for 'cooperating with police'
Police are investigating claims that one of the accused in the OR Tambo airport cash heist has received death threats for ‘cooperating with police’.
This was revealed during a formal bail application heard by the Kempton Park Magistrate’s Court for two of the eight men arrested in connection with the crime.
During the reading of an affidavit by the investigating officer‚ Col Samuel Mhlangu of the Hawks‚ submitted to the State in opposition of bail for Prince Dube and Thando Sonqishe‚ it came to light that either Dube or Sonqishe had received death threats.
The State could not reveal which one of the men had made these claims‚ but confirmed the claim was being investigated.
It is also not clear how the individual received these threats.
Meanwhile‚ also during the bail application‚ the court heard some jaw dropping details:
• Dube said he earned R400 000 a month and confirmed he had a previous conviction for drunk driving.
• Dube‚ while declaring an eye-watering income for his work as ‘stand exhibitionist’‚ owns no immovable property in South Africa.
• Dube‚ whom the state believes is from Zimbabwe‚ was arrested with a falsified SA ID document for which he has been charged with fraud.
• The house were Dube was arrested is believed to have been a ‘safe house’ where the vehicles used during the robbery were modified to resemble police vehicles.
• Sonqishe jumped out of a window and hid on his neighbour’s roof when police arrived at his house to arrest him.
• Sonqishe owns a Lamborghini Gallardo‚ Toyota Hilux and a Hyundai I20 as well as a home valued at approximately R3 million in Blue Valley Golf Estate but declared his monthly income as R30 000.
• Police have told the court that only R20.7 million was taken in South African rands‚ and no foreign currency was taken.
• Standard Bank officials have positively linked cash found by police in the possession of Sonqishe’s girlfriend to the consignment that was stolen.
• Sonqishe allegedly admitted to police that he was part of the planning of the heist and had been paid R1 million for his part‚ which included sourcing the blue police lights for the vehicles.
The court is expected to hear arguments by the defence attorneys on Wednesday while formal bail applications will begin for the remaining four accused.
- TMG Digital/The Times