State bus service AutoPax will continue in Mamelodi

04 July 2015 - 09:39 By RDM News Wire


AutoPax will continue its bus service in strife-torn Mamelodi‚ where taxi operators have disrupted services and commuters have been killed‚ Gauteng provincial leaders said Friday. The protest over who is to take over Putco bus routes turned more violent Friday morning when a driver and four passengers were wounded by a gunman‚ The Times reported. This follows three days of protests by Mamelodi Taxi Association members who want control of the routes used by Putco up until June 30‚ but a temporary‚ three-month contract had already been issued to AutoPax‚ a state-owned entity.The decision to continue the AutoPax service follows a meeting Friday afternoon that included Gauteng Premier David Makhura‚ City of Tshwane mayor Kgosientso Ramokgopa‚ the national department of transport‚ “community” representatives and other “stakeholders”.“The meeting unanimously agreed that AutoPax will continue to render the services as per the interim contract agreement whilst engagements with the taxi industry continue‚” said a statement issue by the Gauteng department of roads and transport Friday.Additional law enforcement agencies would be deployed to restore order‚ according to the statement.Makhura said commuters had the right to use any mode of transport they chose‚ basing their decisions on price‚ safety and reliability.Another meeting will be held on Sunday‚ 5 July‚ that will include government representatives‚ transport interest groups as well as Mamelodi community organisations and residents.

This article is reserved for Sunday Times subscribers.

A subscription gives you full digital access to all Sunday Times content.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Registered on the BusinessLIVE, Business Day or Financial Mail websites? Sign in with the same details.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

X