Cape Town e-tolls unlawful: High Court

30 September 2015 - 12:48 By Philani Nombembe

The Cape Town High Court has ruled that a controversial tender awarded by the SA National Road Agency (Sanral) to toll the N1 and N2 in Cape Town be set aside. The tender for the Winelands Tolling Project had been awarded to the Protea Parkways Consortium (PPC).Last month, the City argued in court that the process undertaken by SANRAL to declare portions of the N1 and N2 as toll roads was improper and unlawful. Judges Ashley Binns-Ward and Nolwazi Boqwana today concurred.The city said in a statement the ruling was a “resounding victory” for the residents of Cape Town and the Western Cape.Should they want to go ahead with the Tolling Project, Sanral would “have to start all over again with a proper public participation process”, it said.“The ruling has significant consequences, given the current economic climate where our residents, and in particular the poor, are already struggling to make ends meet.“This ruling should send a strong message that SANRAL has reached the end of the road as far as the Winelands Tolling Project is concerned. The ruling vindicates the City’s firm belief that the process undertaken by SANRAL to declare portions of the N1 and N2 as toll roads was improper and unlawful.“It is also high time that SANRAL stop blaming the City of Cape Town for neglecting to undertake much-needed road maintenance along the N1 and N2 freeways and upgrades to the Huguenot Tunnel.”

This article is reserved for Sunday Times subscribers.

A subscription gives you full digital access to all Sunday Times content.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Registered on the BusinessLIVE, Business Day or Financial Mail websites? Sign in with the same details.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

X