SABC won’t allow journalists back at work while it appeals Labour Court ruling
Four SABC journalists fired last week for speaking out against censorship – and whose dismissal was found to be unlawful by the Labour Court – cannot return to work on Wednesday because the state broadcaster is going to appeal the ruling. Labour Court Judge Robert la Grange ruled on Tuesday that Foeta Krige‚ Suna Venter‚ Krivani Pillay and Jacques Steenkamp were unlawfully dismissed and said they could return to work.But the broadcaster’s legal team has sent their union‚ Solidarity‚ a letter saying they would appeal against the judgement.“In the premise please be advised that your client may not report for duty pending the outcome of the appeal‚” said the letter.Solidarity chief executive Dirk Hermann published a copy of the letter on Twitter early on Wednesday.“SABC intends to appeal judgement. They advise SABC 4 not to report for duty pending outcome of appeal‚” he tweeted.SABC intends to appeal judgement. They advise SABC 4 not to report for duty pending outcome of appeal. pic.twitter.com/X9tOY3sHax— Dirk Hermann (@SolidariDirk) July 27, 2016async Now the legal battle will intensify as the union plans to lodge an urgent legal bid on Wednesday to force the broadcaster to let the journalists return to work‚ pending the appeal.“Solidarity disappointed in SABC's ongoing efforts to continue their unlawful actions. They show lack of moral integrity‚” said Hermann.SABC appeal: Solidarity disappointed in SABC's ongoing efforts to continue their unlawful actions. They show lack of moral integrity.— Dirk Hermann (@SolidariDirk) July 27, 2016async Three other journalists axed by the SABC are still fighting against their dismissal.The censorship policy the axed journalists were fired over is an edict from SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng‚ who himself has remained at work despite a court ruling that his appointment was irregular and should be set aside.