We've got news for you.

Register on TimesLIVE at no cost to receive newsletters, read exclusive articles & more.
Register now

These are the worst areas to live in South Africa

07 June 2016 - 17:04 By Ernest Mabuza

If you want basic comforts such as running water and an inside flush toilet - and a job to put food in your fridge - there are some parts of South Africa you need to steer clear of. A deprivation and comfort index of eight metropolitan municipalities and 44 district councils shows that the Alfred Nzo district municipality‚ incorporating Mount Ayliff and home to 800‚000 people‚ is the worst off‚ according to a survey by the South African Institute of Race Relations.The institute compiled these indexes to track and compare the relative standards of living within local authorities in South Africa. The index comes a few weeks before the local government elections are held on August 3.This is how much you need to earn to live in SA's richest suburbsThe comfort index was drawn up on five pointers: attainment of higher education; ownership of a refrigerator; use of electricity for heating; having a flush/chemical toilet and individual monthly income of R25‚601 or more.The deprivation index was compiled using these indicators: people with no schooling; the unemployment rate; no access to piped water; no access to a toilet and a monthly income of R1‚600 or less.The institute found that the proportion of households with access to piped water inside the home or yard is highest in the Central Karoo in the Western Cape at 97.1%‚ and lowest in the Alfred Nzo district at 16%.The survey found that Cape Town was better-off with regards to sanitation as 91.4% of its households have access to a chemical or flush toilet. On the other end‚ only 8.6% of the households in the Greater Sekhukhune area of Limpopo had access to a chemical or flush toilet.The institute said while service delivery was a suitable indicator of performance‚ employment was an equally fitting pointer.It found that the the Alfred Nzo district had the lowest employment rate at 53.1% and Johannesburg had the highest‚ at 72.7%.Alfred Nzo region also scores worst on income‚ with 90.2% of the people living there receiving between R1 and R1‚600 per month.Johannesburg performed best‚ with 9.5% of the population having a monthly income of R25‚600 or more.The institute said government had made significant progress in providing services at municipal level‚ but much still needed to be done to close the gap between South Africa’s most deprived and the more comfortable municipalities.Worst 5 places to live1. Alfred Nzo district municipality‚ incorporating Mount Ayliff in the Eastern Cape is home to 800‚000 people. The proportion of its households with access to piped water inside the home or yard is 16%. The district has the lowest employment rate in the country at 53.1% and also scores worst on income‚ with 90.2% of the people living there receiving between R1 and R1‚600 per month.2. The OR Tambo district‚ incorporating Mthatha‚ Qunu‚ Mqanduli‚ Port St Johns‚ Qumbu‚ Lusikisiki and Bizana in the Eastern Cape‚ has a 77.5% poverty rate. Only 19.4% of residents have tap water inside their yard or dwelling and 18.3% have a flush/chemical toilet.3. uMkhanyakude in northern KwaZulu-Natal’s seat is Mkuze and serves 570‚000 people. It is a very rural district‚ the largest town being Mtubatuba in the south‚ with Hluhluwe‚ Mkuze and Jozini to the north. A majority of its residents - 88.6% - earn under R1‚600 a month. Access to services is low‚ with 29% having a flush or chemical toilet and 37% are able to use running water inside their property.4. uMzinyathi District Municipality‚ KwaZulu-Natal province. The district lies between the main N3 Corridor between Durban and Gauteng and the Coastal Corridor‚ running along the east coast. The more developed urban areas include Dundee and Greytown. Only 34% of its residents have tap water and 27.5% have a flush or chemical toilet. 5. Zululand District Municipality in KZN is primarily a rural district. About half the area falls under the jurisdiction of traditional authorities. Vryheid and Ulundi are its two main urban centres. A majority - 87.7% - of residents live on less than R1‚600 a month‚ 53% have tap water on their properties and 32% have a flush or chemical toilet...

Support the Sunday Times by buying a subscription.

You’ve always trusted us to help you navigate the world. Support the Sunday Times by becoming a premium member for only R80 (digital access) and keep the conversation going. You can cancel anytime.

Already subscribed? Sign in below.

Digital access for only R80

Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.