×

We've got news for you.

Register on TimesLIVE at no cost to receive newsletters, read exclusive articles & more.
Register now

DA to approach court to have Hlaudi declared unfit for new SABC job

10 October 2016 - 15:47 By Tmg Digital

The Democratic Alliance is to approach the Western Cape High Court to have the appointment of former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng as Group Executive of Corporate Affairs declared invalid. DA federal executive chairperson James Selfe said this had been decided after consultation with the party’s legal counsel.“In so doing we are asking the courts to make a determination that Mr Motsoeneng is not a fit an proper person to hold any position at the SABC‚ much less at executive level given a slew of adverse judicial findings against his qualifications and conduct throughout his tenure‚” Selfe said. The DA also had concerns about the legitimacy of the constitution of the SABC Board itself and whether its conduct was compliant with the prescripts of the Broadcasting Act which governed it‚ he said. “As such‚ the DA will also be asking the courts to make a determination of the suitability of the incumbent Board and proffer legal certainty on how the Board is to be dissolved and a new one appointed.” Motsoeneng and the SABC Board have been the subject of scathing judgments by the Western Cape High Court and the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA). “Mr Motsoeneng‚ aided and abetted by a dysfunctional SABC Board and the Minister of Communications‚ Faith Muthambi‚ has for too long gotten his way‚ while at the same time undermining the Public Protector‚ the Judiciary and the people of South Africa. “Just yesterday ANC Chief Whip‚ Jackson Mthembu‚ finally acknowledged that the reshuffling of Mr Hlaudi Motsoeneng to a new position is ‘illogical’ on the basis of the Public Protector’s egregious findings against his initial appointment and the numerous court judgements reaffirming this‚” Selfe asserted. He said it was never ideal to approach the nation’s judiciary on these matters but had become necessary “in the face of uncooperative government agencies who refuse to give effect to their statutory obligations to operate in the public interest”. “The DA is committed to restoring the integrity and independence of the SABC‚ and the first step‚ is to ensure that it has the right leadership. As such‚ it will participate fully in in all processes to reestablish the credibility and integrity of the public broadcaster. “The DA will therefore brief the media on further details of our court action in due course‚” Selfe added...

Support the Sunday Times by buying a subscription.

You’ve always trusted us to help you navigate the world. Support the Sunday Times by becoming a premium member for only R80 (digital access) and keep the conversation going. You can cancel anytime.

Already subscribed? Sign in below.

Digital access for only R80



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.