Flood-ravaged infrastructure and poor water quality prevented Durban from seeking “Blue Flag” status for its beaches this year.
The Wildlife and Environment Society of South Africa (Wessa), which manages the prestigious programme, revealed the eThekwini municipality did not indicate whether it would apply for the status in the future.
A Blue Flag beach must be clean, with ablutions and surrounding areas well maintained, the water must be safe for swimming — determined by regular testing — appropriate safety measures should be in place, and the beach should be accessible to all.
Tevya Lotriet, Wessa spokesperson, said the loss of Blue Flag status “sends a worrying signal to potential tourists and visitors that Durban is not ready to welcome them back to a clean, healthy and safe environment”.
“Durban’s beaches and coastal areas are the primary drawcard that underpins its crucial tourism economy, with thousands of jobs dependent on it.”
She said the municipality did not submit an application for any of its beaches “which is why they were not awarded”.
“A Blue Flag is awarded and assessed annually and each year an application must be submitted to Wessa for review by the national jury in SA and then by the Blue Flag international jury in Copenhagen, Denmark.
“The city told Wessa its focus this year is to attend to the dilapidated and ageing infrastructure. They said heavy rains and flooding hit the coastline hard.
“Based on the sample results Wessa received from the independent lab responsible for Durban Blue Flag water samples, and if Durban did apply this year, the 2021 beaches which had Blue Flag status would not meet the water quality requirements to be awarded the status.
“From the independent lab, Wessa did receive several water quality fails with high E coli and faecal streptococci readings, which can potentially be linked to old sewerage infrastructure, heavy rainfall and floods, and other pollution.
“eThekwini municipality did not indicate if they plan to apply for Blue Flag in the future.”
She said Wessa was committed to helping the city get back on the programme.
eThekwini spokesperson Msawakhe Mayisela said: “The media must refrain from comparing our city with coastal cities that have never experienced floods in the recent past.
“Everyone is aware of the extent of the damage to our infrastructure caused by floods and how then, hardly a year after this damage, is the city expected to have Blue Flag status? We are certain that after repairing our sewerage infrastructure we will get our Blue Flag status back.”
While six beaches on the KwaZulu-Natal south coast retained their Blue Flag status, the tourist hotspot of Margate was not one.
Ray Nkonyeni municipal spokesperson Simon April said despite Margate beach not having the status, it remained one of the most popular of the area's 21 beaches.
“Challenges in the wastewater treatment plant that previously led to water pollution in the Nkongweni River resulted in the water quality at Margate beach being compromised in terms of acceptable levels of E coli. This led to it losing the Blue Flag.”
“Though Margate doesn't have Blue Flag status, it will not affect the South Coast remaining the tourist destination of choice.”
April said the municipality may submit Margate for Blue Flag status in the future.
Support independent journalism by subscribing to the Sunday Times. Just R20 for the first month.









Would you like to comment on this article?
Sign up (it's quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.