Teen in Thorisho Themane trial faces new rap over stabbing at party
One of the six minors implicated in the killing of Thorisho Themane now faces an additional charge of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm (GBH), the National Prosecuting Authority said on Thursday.
The 15-year-old had appeared for this case separately in the Polokwane Magistrate's Court, said NPA Limpopo spokesperson Mashudu Malabi-Dzhangi.
"Accused four has appeared again alone for GBH in a different matter dating back to December last year," she said.
The incident relates to the stabbing of a Capricorn High School pupil Vincent Thomas.
Thomas told TimesLIVE earlier this month that he was stabbed by a fellow pupil, whose father is a retired police officer, at a party last December.
He felt his case had not been taken seriously by the authorities until the investigation into Themane's death.
"I wouldn't say that I am happy … because justice has not been served."
In response, police spokesperson Brig Motlafela Mojapelo said the teen had also opened a case of assault against Thomas, and that both complaints were under investigation simultaneously.
The pupil alleged to have stabbed Thomas was seen in a video shared widely after Themane's killing, saying he felt good that he had killed a person. He was wearing his school uniform in the video.
"Yes, you know my father is untouchable," he boasted before walking away.
The assault case was postponed to March 20 for preliminary inquiry.
Meanwhile, Themane's murder case was also heard on Thursday and postponed to March 22.
Both cases happened behind closed doors because the accused are minors.
Polokwane residents were shocked after learning of the brutal murder of 28-year-old Thoriso Themane at the hands of high school pupils. Family, friends and community members now want justice for the life of the young musician taken from them on the evening of February 24, 2019.