My dad feels like he's being treated unconstitutionally: Duduzane Zuma
Duduzane Zuma to return to SA soon ... with a big announcement
Duduzane Zuma has come to the defence of his father, former president Jacob Zuma, amid growing calls for him to appear again before the state capture commission.
Speaking during a brief interview on SABC3 on Monday, Duduzane said his father felt he was unfairly treated after the commission's request for his bank statements, and those of his daughters.
“He is feeling like he being treated unconstitutionally,” Duduzane said.
Duduzane, who is in Dubai, said he would be travelling back to SA soon — and that he would make a big announcement. Asked if he was going start a political party, he laughed but did not dismiss the speculation.
PODCAST | Zuma vs Zondo: He won't be able to run from the commission forever
“I think everyone should have some role in politics ... wherever I am needed, I am there,” he said.
While his name had been associated with corruption, Duduzane said this had been “unnecessary” as he had co-operated with law-enforcement officials.
“Its unnecessary ... I have faced the music. I don't know how much people want from me,” he said, as he argued that he had availed himself to the Zondo commission and attended a court matter against him despite living in Dubai.
In August this year, Duduzane threw his weight behind former eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede, who was redeployed as an MPL in KZN despite corruption charges hanging over her head.
Many came out against the move, which he still defended.
He said it was it was SA's constitutional nature to paint corruption-accused guilty despite not being declared so by the courts.
“I was just showing support, saying keep on fighting,” he said.
Duduzane said he felt strongly about the matter because he also had an unpleasant experience with the law. He said investigations were not conducted properly and many dockets went missing in many cases.
He also used the platform to state that he was not on social media but there had been several accounts under his name.
Four former officials at the Gauteng department of health made their first appearance in the Palm Ridge magistrate's court. Their case relates to allegations contained in a SIU report from 2018 which shows alleged financial misconduct and corruption that cost the department more than R1.2bn between 2006 and 2010.