EXCLUSIVE: ANC's Marius Fransman will not be prosecuted - accuser reveals her identity

23 May 2016 - 17:09 By Nashira Davids

The woman who accused suspended African National Congress leader Marius Fransman of sexual harassment has decided to reveal her identity - as authorities confirmed he will not be charged.Louisa Wynand‚ 21‚ from Stellenbosch‚ said on Monday that she had been informed by police in the North West that due to a lack of evidence‚ a charge of sexual harassment would not be pursued against Fransman.Fransman backs Zuma, GuptasANC Western Cape leader Marius Fransman sprang to the defence of the President Jacob Zuma and the Gupta family on Freedom Day. National Prosecuting Authority spokesman in the North West‚ Frank Lesenyego‚ told TMG Digital on Monday: “The Director of Public Prosecutions: North West Province declines to prosecute the case due to insufficient evidence.”Tearful testimony at Fransman inquiryTears flowed when the ANC integrity committee heard testimony from the woman who has filed a complaint of sexual harassment against former Western Cape ANC leader Marius Fransman. "I am shocked and disappointed at the outcome of the investigation‚” said Wynand.Fransman accuser: My life is in tattersThe woman who filed a complaint of sexual harassment against Western Cape ANC leader Marius Fransman has finally broken her silence, accusing the police of dragging their feet and saying her life is in tatters. “My life has changed so much because of this incident and has affected not only me but my family and close friends. I‚ together with my legal team am confident that I gave the police enough evidence relating to the charges I brought against Marius Fransman‚”she said.“I am confused as to why they say there is not enough evidence. But I will not take this laying down. I have met with my legal team to discuss my options‚'' said Wynand.“I have also decided to go public with my identity so that young women and children who find themselves in the same boat like I did‚ can see that it can happen to anyone. Our rights need to be protected. I am blessed to have incredible men around me but there are monsters out there who is breaking down our women and children. I believe that this is my journey and if this is the Universe using me to reach out to other victims of sexual assault‚ then so it shall be.”Wynand laid a complaint against Fransman‚ ANC leader in the Western Cape‚ on January 6.She said she was employed by Fransman and attended the ANC's 104th birthday celebrations when she was allegedly sexually assaulted by the politician who was then asked step aside as ANC leader in the province.Statement on behalf of Louisa Wynand:We can confirm that the North West Police investigating the charge of sexual assault against former Western Cape ANC Chairperson Marius Fransman‚ have informed our client‚ Louisa Wynand (21) from Stellenbosch that they WOULD NOT PROCEED with the charges against him.The investigating officer sent Wynand a Whatsapp message on Thursday evening informing her that the DPP (director of public prosecution) indicated they would not proceed with the prosecution because of a lack of evidence. Fransman was part of a Western Cape delegation attending the party's January 2016 celebrations when the incident took place at a guesthouse near Sun City in the North West Province.Wynand went into hiding after she laid charges of sexual harassment against Fransman‚ her employer at the time of the incident. She has subsequently resigned and he was suspended following the investigation.“I am shocked and disappointed at the outcome of the investigation. My life has changed so much because of this incident and has affected not only me but my family and close friends. I‚ together with my legal team am confident that I gave the police enough evidence relating to the charges I brought against Marius Fransman. I am confused as to why they say there is not enough evidence. But I will not take this laying down. I have met with my legal team to discuss my options. And I will exercise my rights. I plan to take a few steps this week of which I will inform the public.”“I have also decided to go public with my identity so that young women and children who find themselves in the same boat like I did‚ can see that it can happen to anyone. Our rights need to be protected. I am blessed to have incredible men around me but there are monsters out there who is breaking down our women and children. I believe that this is my journey and if this is the Universe using me to reach out to other victims of sexual assault‚ then so it shall be.” Said Wynand.The police could at least have sent me a letter to confirm their plans to drop the charges. But to use Whatsapp as a platform to send our client a message of progress after she approached them asking how the case is going‚ is a little unprofessional considering the magnitude of this case and the seriousness of the charges.We will be in touch with other developments around this case.

This article is reserved for Sunday Times subscribers.

A subscription gives you full digital access to all Sunday Times content.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Registered on the BusinessLIVE, Business Day or Financial Mail websites? Sign in with the same details.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@timeslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.