RECIPE: Beer-infused mushroom fillet
Airport Craft Brewers' Phumelelo Marali shares a recipe for a tender steak topped with beer-sozzled caramelised onions and a boozy mushroom sauce
1 red onion, sliced into rings
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
60ml (4 tbsp) porter beer
100g white button mushrooms
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
200g portion of fillet steak
1) Place onion rings in a pan with a pinch of salt and place on a medium heat and allow onions to caramelise. Add 30ml of the porter to the onions and simmer for 5 minutes.
2) In another pan add a drizzle of olive oil. Preheat, add the mushrooms and allow to cook for 5 minutes. Add crushed garlic and cook for another minute. Add the remaining porter and allow mushrooms to simmer for 5 minutes.
3) Preheat a cast-iron pan and add 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil.
4) Season the fillet with salt and pepper and cook to your liking, roughly 4 minutes per side for a 2cm thick steak.
5) Place fillet on a plate and place mushrooms and caramelised onions on top. Serve immediately.