RECIPE: Eccles cakes
This classic British tea time treat could be considered a cousin of the Christmas mince pie
17 May 2018 - 12:32
Makes: around 8
400g ready-made flaky pastry
300g mixed cake fruit, or prepared cake mince
20g brown sugar
3ml mixed spices, including nutmeg and cinnamon
1 egg, beaten with a little milk
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (slightly lower for a fan oven).
- Roll out the pastry fairly thinly and cut into rounds 12-14cm in diameter. Layer the remaining pastry (to keep the flaky texture), re-roll and cut more rounds.
- Mix all the filling ingredients together. Place a rounded tablespoonful of the filling in the centre of each round of pastry and top with a sliver of butter.
- Dampen the pastry edges with water and pull up the edges towards the centre. Pinch together to seal at the centre. Turn the shape over, sealed side down, and roll flat until the fruit just shows through.
- Place on a greased baking tray and slash the top with a knife three times. Glaze with egg and milk wash and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Delicious — they won’t last long!