RECIPE: Pan bread
This snack is somewhere between fried polenta and a pita; it's best served with a dip or tapas spreads
Makes: 24 squares
625ml (2½ cups) chickpea (gram) flour
625ml (2½ cups) water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
60ml (4 tbsp) olive oil
15ml-30ml (1-2 tbsp) fresh rosemary, chopped
1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
12 olives, pitted and chopped
1) Place chickpea flour in a large bowl. Gradually add water and whisk until smooth. Season well with salt and black pepper.
2) Allow to stand for at least 6 hours, overnight is best.
3) Pre-heat oven to 200°C and grease a roasting pan.
4) Add olive oil, rosemary and onion to the chickpea flour mix and stir to combine. Pour into the roasting pan (don't worry that it is runny) and sprinkle with olives.
5) Carefully place in oven and bake for 30 minutes until golden and beginning to draw back from the edges.
6) Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly and cut into wedges. Serve with extra black pepper and flake salt.
Cook's tip: Optional toppings include grated cheese, garlic, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, cherry tomatoes, peppers and chilli.
digital access - or try
a day pass for
only R15! SUBSCRIBE