RECIPE: Mieliepap croquettes with biltong paté
A posh party snack with a South African twist
150g biltong dust
700g cream cheese
750ml (3 cups) water
500ml (2 cups) maize meal
30ml (2 tbsp) butter
250g grated parmesan cheese
200g grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
240g (2 cups) flour
300g panko crumbs
Oil for deep frying
Preserved green figs
1. For the paté, fry the mushrooms in oil till softened. Place all the ingredients except the cream in a blender and blend until fine. If too stiff, add cream, a little at a time. Set aside.
2. To make the croquettes, bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add 1 cup of maize meal and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and leave the "pap" for 8 - 10 minutes.
3. Remove the lid, then stir vigorously for 1 minute to incorporate any remaining maize meal into the water. Repeatedly mash the pap against the sides of the pot to get rid of any lumps.
4. Gradually add another cup of maize meal, stir vigorously and mash again. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, replace the lid and let the pap steam for 10 - 15 minutes.
5. Remove lid and stir. If the "pap" is too dry, add more water. Add the butter, cheeses and seasoning.
6. Shape the pap into round balls and press down.
7. Next crumb the croquettes. Beat the eggs in bowl. Dip each pap 'patty' in flour, then eggs, and then in panko crumbs.
8. Deep fry croquettes in hot oil until golden brown.
9. Place the croquettes on a plate, pipe biltong paté on top and garnish with green fig preserve and pea shoots.
• Orscilla Hitchcock is the chef at Rojaal, a new eatery in Grabouw in the Western Cape.