RECIPE: Slow-cooked oxtail
This warming beef stew is sure to become one of your most-requested recipes
1 oxtail , portioned
30ml (2 tbsp) cake flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
45ml (2 tbsp) oil
125g streaky bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into rings
2-3 large celery sticks, sliced
15ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
250ml (1 cup) beef stock, plus extra if needed
250ml (1 cup) red wine
A bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 4 peppercorns, 4 sprigs fresh parsley and 4 cloves, tied together in a muslin bag)
Strip of orange peel
15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
12 small pickling onions, peeled
Fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- Coat the oxtail in seasoned flour and preheat oil in a large oven-proof casserole.
- Brown the meat on all sides. Remove from the casserole and set aside.
- Add bacon to pan and fry until crisp.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and fry until just soft.
- Add tomato paste and return oxtail to casserole.
- Add stock, wine and bouquet garni.
- Cover and simmer for 3-4 hours on the stove, or transfer to the oven and bake at 160ºC for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more stock if necessary. After 2½ hours, add the orange peel and pickling onions and return to the heat.
- Before serving, remove bouquet garni and peel. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with mash.